The Email Alert service from BirdGuides ensures you are alerted to sightings of any birds that interest you, by sending selected reports to your designated address by email.
This is how it works, once you've subscribed:
- You visit a page on our website (http://www.birdguides.com/emailalert/setup) and complete an online form to let us know which information you would like to receive. You can change your settings via this page, with immediate effect, as often as you like.
- Whenever we have news of any sighting, if it fits with what you've said you want to receive, we will send you an email that looks something like this:
Latest sightings from BirdGuides, 1 Feb at 14:31
01/02 14:30 SOUTH YORKSHIRE : Common Rosefinch, Sheffield [A]
1st-winter still by Graves Park by children's play area this afternoon. Please respect residents' privacy. From the A61 at Woodseats, almost opposite the large Honda garage, enter the park and keep to the right for c.100 metres to view from children's playground area (13:30)
- If you ever want to change your settings, or to stop the service temporarily, you can visit your own page at www.birdguides.com/emailalert/setup, and submit new instructions.
You can tell us:
- Which counties you want to hear about (up to 6)
- Which level of rarity you want to hear about in each county (e.g. local species/rarities/megas etc.)
- Whether you want to hear about national rarities too
- Whether you want emails to different addresses on different days (e.g. home and work)
- Whether you want to receive emails on every day of the week (e.g. if you get them at work, you can switch off the service at weekends)
- Whether you want to suspend the service temporarily (e.g. while you're on holiday)
- Whether you want an email as soon as we get a sighting that is relevant to you or whether you just want a daily digest (one email per day)
Some users find this is a fantastic way to keep constantly up-to-date with what's about, even while they're sat at their desk in the office. Others prefer to get just one email a day summarising what's about.
This service is particularly exciting for anyone who can receive emails to their mobile phone. It allows you to receive a stream of messages giving you the latest birding sightings. It's just like a pager service but with the messages customised exactly to your needs and available at a tiny fraction of the cost of a pager service.
If you can't get emails to your mobile, you can still use your phone to get news of the latest sightings, either as SMS text messages (Bird Text Alert) or by accessing special 'mobile internet pages' via your phone (Bird News Anywhere).
To subscribe, or just to find out the current price of Email Alert, go to:
Note: Email Alert is available on its own but it may work out cheaper to subscribe to this in combination with other BirdGuides news services (see http://www.birdguides.com/subscribe). You can choose whether to subscribe for a year, or by the month.
Frequently Asked Questions
Define your settings (subscribers only)
Other bird news services from BirdGuides
Bird News Extra
Bird Text Alert
Bird News Anywhere
Back to top